How to manage user communication (labels and news)
- In this lesson:
- 1Use your own language for labels
- 2Post messages on the dashboard News widget
Use your own language for labels
All texts shown in the application can be configured (and translated) using the label management option.
A label is defined on a page using a 'technical key'. In the screenshot below, the Description.Entity is an example of such a 'technical key'. There is not a complete list of all labels used on each individual page.
This means that the easiest way to change a text and determine if the correct text is changed is done by following the following steps:
- Open a second window with the page containing the label / text to be changed
- Search for the text in the label management screen
- Change the text to the desired value and click on Save
- Refresh the secondary window to validate if the text is changed correctly (and if the correct text has been changed).
It it also possible to enrich the label text with an HTML tag.
This might be handy to add a link to external documentation: <a href="https://google.com" target="New">(i)</a>
All labels are automatically predefined with a default text value in the system.
If a technical key is shown in the user interface instead of a label or message, this means that the label is not defined automatically and must be added manually.
To add this label:
- Click on the “+Add” button
- Copy the 'cryptic name' (label identifier) to the Keyword
- Define the relevant label values (NL, EN)
- Click on Save
Refresh the user screen to validate if the label is defined correctly and the text is shown in stead of the the label identifier.
Post messages on the dashboard News widget
The users personal dashboards provides a way to show generic news messages via the News widget.
The administrator menu News can be used to configure news items to be shown on the dashboard.
Use the Add button to define a new News item, or the Edit button to change an already defined item.
Use the delete button to remove News items.
The definition of News items consists of the following elements.
- Title - The title of the news item
- Message - The content of the news item. HTML-tags may be used.
- Style - CSS-configuration to add a specific style to the message. This can also be obtained by embedding the style in the HTML-tags of the message.
- Fixed in header - Show the news message in the page header. Typically used as a banner to inform the users of an upcoming event.
(banner color is dependent on used Style: success → green, warning → yellow, danger → red, info → blue)
- Show admin only - Show the message only to the administrator, so it can be tested first.